Altai State Regional Studies Museum. Fragment of a fencing
The sections is prepared with the support of the OSI "Assistance fund"  The grant  IEA70Eu
About museum

History of museum

Exhibitions Expositions Collections

Akinfy Demidov 
and Altai
Altai - Russian 
tsars' patrimony

Issuings Publications

Educational programs

Museums of Altai

Our consultations


Akinfy Demidov. Iron bas-relief XIX c.
Demidov's work. Chronology of events.

1719  December. 10
Peter the 1 issued an Edict that established the Berg - College ( the Central Mining Board ) and gave advantages to "all those who are fond of mining". The Edict allowed "everybody...of any search, melt, found and scour any metal everywhere".
Miners with Stepan Grigorievich Kostylev at the head discovered a deposit of copper ores in the Altai Mountains near the upper Alei for the first time. They failed to avail themselves of their discovery. 
1720  spring
An experienced "assay-master" Jogann Frederic Bluer smelted the first copper out of Altai samples.
1724 -
The first ore-prospecting expeditions was sent by Akinfy Nikitich Demidov to work in Altai. Its participants supplied the ural factory - owner with samples of ores from rich deposits situated in the basins of Charysh and Alei Rivers.
February. 16
Akinfy Demidov received a Berg - privilege that is a permit for mining and melting of Altai copper ores "to the state glory and national profit".
1726 February
Ivan Slatter, a founder, a famous metallurgist, smelted the first silver from the ore supplied by A. Demidov.
Sent with Dmitry Semenov at the head to Altai, Demidov's masters built the first furnace and carried out a test melting of copper ores.
Monument on a place of first demidov's factory. Picture of a beginning XX c.
A monument in the place 
of the Demidov first factory in Altai
The Kolyvano - Voskresensky Works was built under the guidance of Nikifor Kleopin in the place of the test melting. It was the first metallurgical works of A. Demidov in Altai.The whole production was situated in a small house where was the only furnace for copper melting.
1729   September. 21
A new metallurgic works named Kolyvano - Voskresensky started working on the river Belaya 5 km far from the first one. This is the largest Altai works of A. N. Demidov.

The Kolyvano - Voskresensky copper-smelting works (mid. XVIII c) Drawing of M. Yudin ( 1952 )
1735 -
The Kolyvano - Voskresensky Works and Altai mines of A. Demidov were taken under "public support" and controlled by a state comissioner.
1739 -
The Barnaul copper-smelting works was built. Later it turned into the centre of mining industry in Altai. The city of Barnaul originated from it.



Works in the mine.  Fragment of a drawing (XVIII c)
Works in the mine.  Fragment of a drawing ( XVIII c ).
A gold-bearing deposit was discovered on the mountain Zmeeva. The Zmeinogorsky mine was the richest silver mine in Altai. In 1745 - 1747 there were more than 90 mines attached to Altai plants: 
a silver, 69 copper, 6 lead, a copper-lead, 16 copper-bearing mines.
Mine works and an ore-smelting furnace.  Fragment of a drawing (XVIII c)
Mine works and an ore-smelting furnace.  Fragment of a drawing (XVIII c)
1744 -
Sent by the empress Elizaveta Petrovna a committee of mining experts with A. B. Beer at the head discovered rich reserves of silver ores in Altai.It was suggested that old plants be reconstructed, new ones be built and Demidov's works be taken under public support.
May. 1
The empress Elizaveta Petrovna issued an Edict by which all Altai posessions of Akinfy Demidov's heirs were transfered to the empress's property and under the authority of the Cabinet of Her Imperial Majesty.

Altai became a Russian tsars' patrimony

Fragment of the museum exposition A. Demidov and Altai Fragment of the museum exposition 
"A. N. Demidov and Altai".
The exposition starts with a cast-iron bas-relief of Akinfy Demidov ( XIX c )
In the foreground there is a model of the Barnaul Works of mid. XVIII c.
In the centre there is a gun from the Kolyvano - Voskresensky Works' fortress.
In the background there is a drawing of the monument erected in the place of the Kolyvansky Works.
In the left there is a central stone from the monument.

Previous page Home page Next page