about museum

The Church of John the Theologian
The Church of John the Theologian "under the Elm".1996. New Square, 12.


The pavilion ''Moscow'' at the All-Russian Artistic and Industrial exhibition. N. Novgorod, 1896.
The pavilion ''Moscow'' at the All-Russian Artistic and Industrial exhibition. N. Novgorod, 1896.

T he Museum of History of Moscow is one of the oldest museums of the city. Its collection was based on the exhibits of the pavilion "Moscow" at the All-Russian Artistic and Industrial exhibition, which was held in Nizhny Novgorod in 1896. There the Moscow City Adminisration displayed its achievements in providing the city with all amenities, improving its medical and sanitary conditions, in a public education, charity. Just in this year the Museum of Moscow Municipal Facilities and Services was opened by the order of the Moscow City Duma. The Museum was located in one of the Krestovsky Towers.



T he Museum changed its name and location several times within a hundred years history. In 1921 the Museum was called Moscow Municipal Museum and was located in Sukhareva Tower - the restored monument of 17th century. Under the influence of the plan of Moscows reconstruction accepted in 1935 the name and an expositions character of the Museum were changed. In this time it was called the Museum of History and Reconstruction of Moscow and moved into the building of the Church of John the Theologian " under the Elm", were it is located now. Since 1987 the Museum is called the Museum of History of Moscow.

The Sukhareva Tower, 1930s The Sukhareva Tower, 1930s.


The Krestovsky Water - Towers. 1900s.
The Krestovsky Water - Towers. 1900s.



copyrights back