Originally a local history museum (began
its work in Gzhatsk November 7, 1948), the memorial museum
after Y. A. Gagarin (started April 5, 1970) and the Art
Gallery (July 7, 1984), the museum was founded on the 30th
of November, 1988. It is one of the leading museums on space
exploration in Russia.
Its total area is 3202 sq. m. including exhibition aria
of 1817 sq. m. There are more than 62000 exhibits, 32000
of them are on space theme, 15000 are rarities.
The museum is a collective member of
the Russia astronautics museums association, Russia museums
association, Russia regional museums association, the Smolensk
branch of astronautics federation of Russia and All-Russia
youth space society VAKO “Union”.
a) History of the first flight;
b) Local history;
d) Travel agency;
f) Culture and education center, children’s museum
“Games Y.A.Gagarin played”.